Thursday, October 20, 2011

The Classic Gaming of the 80's and 90's

Very recently, I have redeveloped an interest in classic gaming through the use of emulators. Everything from the 1985 powerhouse "Super Mario Bros." to the 1990's epidemic known as "Star Fox 64". For some unknown reason, it has made me reminisce about the lost form of gaming that is the 90's form. No online, and the only person you could trash talk to was sitting right next to you.

But little did gamers know that soon, game developers would make things more "advanced" by developing the use of online gaming. Now, some kid you've never met in Guadalajara totally call you a dick and say that you're aim on Medal of Honor blows some serious cock. It's an insult man! What a waste of good bandwidth. I just enjoy some Russian douchebag yelling obscenities over the screen, hence why I never bought a headset.

Just doing something random here, as with my last post about caffeine. Here are some old forms of gaming that I wish were still around, as well as some of my personal favorite games from my childhood.

LINEAR MULTIPLAYER


PlayStation (1995)
Even though consoles like the Wii are still trying to capitalize on the linear multiplayer form, the Xbox 360 and PS3 forms of multiplayer have just basically given the biggest middle finger to the fun the 90's brought. With such excellent multiplayer games like GoldenEye 007 on the N64, and Twisted Metal on the PS1, online gaming seemed like the decent way to go.


SEQUELS THAT ARE RELEVANT, CHALLENGING, AND SPACED OUT


Such classic series' as Super Mario Bros, Zelda, and basically everything on Nintendo, series' like Call of Duty and Fallout are receiving far too much attention. Any more attention and they're bound to go the way of Vanilla Ice. It's like we get a new sequel every year, or even every half year. That's too much guys, you're over saturating and eventually alienating your consumers. Slow the fuck down, and don't rush these bitches out. Take a year or two between games, don't fuck us over with such lovable bullshit like Black Ops.

Plus each and every game is the exact same. What? A different branch of the military? Different multiplayer maps? Fucking bite me! This horseshit is for the birds. How is it everybody keeps getting suckered in to paying an arm and a leg for this crap on a six month basis?!
1985

I miss sequels that took two or three years to be released, and were challenging. Super Mario Bros.? 1985. Super Mario Bros. 2? 1988. See! It's easy to keep your fans and other consumers interested with this plan. This way, they won't have the chance of getting fucked over by the market.

CHALLENGING STORIES


Another big thing game's lack today, especially games on the 360 and PS3, is a long story with intricate characters and tough obstacles. However, do not misunderstand me. There are still a few games today that have somewhat long stories; well mainly the Grand Theft Auto series of games. Those stories take days, even with one sitting. Again, Call of Duty is the bullying victim here. Anywhere from ten to twelve missions? I game story lasting maybe eight to nine hours. That seems like alot, but its also easy to hit because of the difficulty level. Even at Hard or whatever it is, I've heard that it's pretty stupid and still easy to beat. Not being a fan of any sort, I only use first-hand remarks to describe games.

Well, that's pretty much it. Consider this an incomplete post, because I could really tag on anything at any given date. I was just charting some stuff I really miss about gaming of the 90's when I was growing up, and stuff I would've liked to experience in the 80's.

I'm not saying anything bad about gaming today. I'm still a gamer today; yes, quite the nerd. It's what I do, and though I enjoy doing it I do tease it all the time and give the industry shit. It's something I love doing is reviewing and critiquing things. Anywho, I'll see you next post. Let's end with just a few of my favorite games.



Hey! If you're looking to rediscover your inner kid, head to www.coolrom.com and check out their library of emulators and ROM files. Here, to get you started, here's a link to a Super Nintendo emulator download, ENJOY: zSNES download: Enjoy classic games anywhere on your PC!

1 comment:

  1. I guess I'll be the first to comment :p. And I would have to agree that call of duty is just the same game that's been released many times with minor changes each time. Also that games are far too easy to beat now with very little in the main story, I wish they were like Mario or banjo kazooie, many things to collect while keeping it interesting to play, thought out characters, puzzles or mysteries you need to find in the game, and actually music, I hate music in games today bc it's all the same, but in old ones it was different songs and themes throughout every level. Well, there's my thoughts :p

    ReplyDelete