| Book cover (front/back) |
Hello again. Well, it has been only five days since my last post, and considering how school work is slowing down, I figured I have more time to post often.
What do I have for you today? Well, very recently, I've come across a book called "Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter". In it, the book describes the honest Abe's life as it were, except growing up where the Confederacy, Jefferson Davis, and even John Wilkes Booth are all vampires. Yes, now everyone in the south is considered a vampire. Now, you might be thinking that this book is only trying to cash in on the whole "vampire phase" this world is going through, but really it's taking itself seriously, as if it's a biographical representation of Lincoln's life...I know, it's weird.
| Jefferson Davis |
It's pretty strange to believe that Jefferson Davis and John Wilkes Booth, the two men responsible for the Civil War and the assassination of Lincoln respectively, are now vampires. They walk the Earth at night and feed on fresh Union soldiers? It's pretty fuckin' trippy.
Then again, the Union has vampire's now, too! Except these are like the Twilight vampires. Yes, the fruity, teeny-bopper, "vampires" of Twilight can't even stay in their own fuckin' franchise. I would rant about it, but I'll save that one for later.
A plot synopsis reveals that Abraham Lincoln had become the target of vampires in the south due to his leadership and his disapproval of slavery, which apparently the vampire plantation owners use for sustenance. I don't really get it, but it is good for an action movie (which by the way has already been confirmed for a 2013 release).
| John Wilkes Booth |
The ending of the novel is the strangest part. In the ending, Abraham Lincoln is killed by Booth like normal, except two days later, he's staked by Union soldiers in an abandoned wool mill. Afterwards, the Union soldier who is a vampire (I guess the "Edward Cullen" of this group) decides to bite the deceased Lincoln on the neck, and turn him into a vampire, because as he claims "some men are just too interesting to die". What's even more bizarre? This vampire guy takes care of Lincoln for one hundred years, and together they attend Martin Luther King's "I Have a Dream" speech. Yes, that's right. Abolitionist, lawyer, and politician Abraham Lincoln was now in attendance at Martin Luther King's speech. It begs for an explanation of why the novel was written...
But you know what? Even though it begs for one, it doesn't really require one. The book is like something a fan of both Abraham Lincoln and vampire folklore would do. It's harmless really, yet some people complained about making Lincoln a vampire. You know what? I'm cool with that! I think it was a pretty fuckin' cool thing to do. It's one of those books you just read to enjoy the differences the author incinuates, not to grade it on its historical accuracy. If we only graded for accuracy, the movie Pearl Harbor would be in shambles. But we don't because we love these books because they're for entertainment. They aren't trying to win a Pulitzer Prize, but they show us the entertaining side of writing.
| Martin Luther King at his "I Have a Dream" speech |
Thanks for reading, and I remember to come back soon. I've got a blog idea that everyone talks about. A rant so many have made, a rant that many present different opinions and ideas on, and a rant that will never die as long as the subject matter remains. It'll be a two part post, part one is coming soon...
No comments:
Post a Comment