Back to school shopping is very interesting in the sense that it can cost you a great fortune and you'll go through everything in about five to six months time, or three months if you're in college. So, let's go category by category and describe average prices and average duration.
THE PENCIL
Avg. Price = $0.12 per wooden pencil/$0.35 per mechanical
The pencil is the most universal tool in the school's catalog. Mysteriously, I find that most schools are phasing out pencil use and implementing pen use more, especially as the kids are getting older. I don't know what's so bad about using a pencil as opposed to a pen, but oh well. Maybe something about the seriousness of the subject of study or whatever.
THE PEN
Avg. Price = $0.65 per standard pen/$0.80 per "click" pen
The pen is more universal nowadays than the pencil. Most teachers and professors request the use of pens instead of pencils, and there's a good reason for it, especially in college. In college classes, sometimes you'll ahve to sign off on legal documents involving your SS#, and they don't want anybody forging or erasing valuable data.
THE FOLDER
Avg. Price = $0.10 per regular 2-pocket folder/$0.25+ for anything else "special"
The folder is your best, and most standard, filing tool. However, nowadays, binders and trapper keepers are becoming the norm. Folders are probably being deemed to cheap for really any use. After all, you cram more than a hundred sheets of paper in there, they're bound to burst, rip, or combust in your bag. So, avoid these if you're in higher ranked school.
THE BINDER
Avg. Price = $3.50 per regular 3-pronged binder w/three pockets
Much more preferred in the school norm today. Binders provide easy access, easy archiving, and especially with dividers in your binder. Dividers in your binder is basically the best way to archive and carry material from any given class, plus it allows you even easier access (somehow) when you're at home, so you don't have to flip through too many papers.
THE NOTEBOOK
Avg. Price = $1.00 and up for any 70, 120, 150, or 180 sheet notebooks
The notebook is probably the most universal tool for writing and storing material written off a chalkboard, marker board, or projector screen. The notebook keeps all papers and notes safe, while simultaneously supplying spare paper for test taking and other things, such as a "boring class drawing" like I do sometimes. I wish I was kidding...
THE BACKPACK
Avg. Price = $11.50 at the least for the really cheap ones/$80.00 for the expensive ones w/multiple pockets
The backpack (or "school bag") is basically the main tool for carrying books and materials from location A to location B. The backpack also has options for decorations, involving Sharpie's and highlighter's to color on them with. It's always fun to doodle on a backpack, but I guess it either means you're weird or bored if you do so...
THE CALCULATOR
Avg. Price = $10 for a cheap one/$120+ for the super-efficient graphing calculators
The calculator is pretty much a way of saying "I'm awesome" in grade school. In grade school, no one really needed a calculator, and if they did they were supplied by the teacher. However, if you had one in class, you were the man. Higher up, however, if you had one, you were graded on its efficiency by your peers. You were either king or screwed. It's better to fuck than be fucked...
Well, I do believe that this covers the majority categories of the "back to school" shopping season. Sure there are definitely one's I forgot. But really, did you expect to come here for a cheap laugh, boring stare, or did you actually come here for price advice? Well if I helped, you're welcome. If I didn't, then you've come to the wrong place to seek help obviously...
But seriously, take good care when you shop for school supplies. It can be challenging, but only if you make it challenging...Set your price range, calm yourself, and make it fun. If you can't make it fun, just shop with a big, fat smile on your face...
| You buy good stuff, yes? |
No comments:
Post a Comment